Steps of Faith Persevering in Trial
1. Waiting on God. (Verse 1) I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined to me, and heard my cry. Regardless of whatever circumstance we may find our selves in God is not unaware of it. God does not forget His promises or His plan. However, His timetable is not ours, therefore, we must learn to patiently wait on Him. David was told he would be King and then would be on the run from King Saul for approximately the next 15 years before Saul was killed in battle. It was then another 7 years before He was King over all of Israel. David referenced in Psalms many times about waiting patiently on God.
Psalm 27:14 Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.
Psalm 37:7 Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.
Psalm 123:2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, As the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, So our eyes look to the LORD our God, Until He is gracious to us.
Psalm 25:2 Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day.
Psalm 145:15-16 The eyes of all look to You, And You give them their food in due time. You open Your hand And satisfy the desire of every living thing.
Psalm 5:3 n the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.
Psalm 33:20 Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield.
Psalm 130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.
Psalm 39:7 "And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You
2. Receiving Deliverance from God. (Verse 2) He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. There are trials that come in our lives that are self-induced because of disobedient sinful choices. And then there are those that come because we are walking faithfully and God is growing us in Him through them. Before I was a follower of Christ I was destined for the pit of hell. He called me and set me free from the punishment that will come to all who reject His offer of salvation through Jesus Christ, the Rock.
Isaiah 6:7 He touched my mouth with it and said, "Behold, this has touched your lips; and your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven."
Proverbs 16:6 By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for, And by the fear of the LORD one keeps away from evil.
Hebrews 2:17 Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.
Micah 7:18 Who is a God like You, who pardons iniquity And passes over the rebellious act of the remnant of His possession? He does not retain His anger forever, Because He delights in unchanging love.
Jeremiah 31:33-34 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."
Romans 3:24-26 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
3. Seeking Joy From God. (verse 3) He has put a new song in my mouth---Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord. As a believer (follower of Christ) the new song in my mouth is a song of joy that can only come from the Spirit of God. Joy is not something that is external, it is internal, and is one of the fruits of the Spirit that we are given when we receive the gift of salvation.
Deuteronomy 26:11 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Psalm 51:14 Rescue me from the guilt of murder, O God, the God who delivers me! Then my tongue will shout for joy because of your deliverance.
Ecclesiastes 5:20 To such a one, God will remove the concerns common to others, for God shall answer him with joy from his heart.
Isaiah 42:11 Let the desert and its towns praise God. Let the people of Kedar praise him! Let those who live in the city of Sela shout for joy from the tops of the mountains!
Acts 20:24 but I make account of none of these, neither do I count my life precious to myself, so that I finish my course with joy, and the ministration that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify fully the good news of the grace of God.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Jude 1:24 Now, may there be honor and majesty and power to God, who is able to guard you people from stumbling [and falling away from Him, See Gal. 5:4], and [who is able] to place you before His glorious presence without any [moral] blemish, but with great joy.
4. Trusting God. (verse 4) Blessed is that man who makes the LORD his trust, and does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. The prince of this world, Satan, will do anything to draw our eyes off of the Lord. He will entice us with promises that are not ever lasting, only temporary. The lies of Satan will only lead you to destruction for eternity. He can give you wealth, fame and power, however, it is only fleeting; God’s blessing are for eternity and will not be destroyed. The best blessing is that we will inherit the kingdom of God, because we are considered joint heirs with Abraham.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he shall direct your paths.
Galatians 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are [truly] Abraham's seed [i.e., his spiritual descendants] and thereby [you will] inherit what was promised to him [i.e., God's blessings].
Genesis 49:45 Thy father's God shall help thee, and the almighty shall bless thee with blessings from heaven above, and with blessings of the water that lieth under, and with blessings of the breasts and of the womb.
Isaiah 26:12 Lord, You will ordain peace (God's favor and blessings, both temporal and spiritual) for us, for You have also wrought in us and for us all our works.
Mark 8:35 For whoever would [try to] save his life [i.e., by neglecting spiritual things] will lose it [i.e., miss out on the blessings of God]. But whoever [is willing] to lose his life [i.e., in commitment to God's service] for my sake and [the work of] the Gospel's sake, will save it [i.e., obtain both temporal and spiritual blessings].
1 Corinthians 2:12 But we have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which comes forth from God, that we may know the blessings that have been so freely given to us by God.
2 Corinthians 9:8 God has power to shower all kinds of blessings upon you, so that, having, under all circumstances and on all occasions, all that you can need, you may be able to shower all kinds of benefits upon others.
Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all the spiritual blessings in Christ's kingdom.
2 John 1:3 Unearned favor, mercy and peace will be with us from God, the Father, and from Jesus Christ, the Father's Son, in truth and love [i.e., truth and love will accompany the other blessings].
5. Remembering His works in your life. (verse 5) Many, O LORD my God, are your wonderful works which You have done; and Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. There are many works throughout the Word of God that are mentioned. And than as we look out at His creation we can see His handiwork. However, as we look just at our own lives individually, can you count the many wonderful works God has done with you alone?
Psalm 66:3 Say unto God, "O how wonderful are thy works? Through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies be found liars unto thee.
Judges 13:19 So Manoah took the young goat and a grain offering, and offered it on the rock to the LORD, who works wonders. Then the angel did a wonderful thing as Manoah and his wife looked on.
Psalm 66:5 O come hither and behold the works of God; which is so wonderful in his doings among the children of men.
Revelation 15:3 And they were singing the song of Moses, God's servant, and the song of the Lamb. Their words were, "Great and wonderful are Thy works, O Lord God, the Ruler of all. Righteous and true are Thy ways, O King of the nations.
6. Living in obedience to His precepts. (verse 6) Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; my ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require. The Lord does not need our money or resources. He does want our hearts though and the only way to show that your heart is given to God is to follow Him in total obedience to all that He commands.
1 Peter 1:4 [Live] as children of obedience [to God]; do not conform yourselves to the evil desires [that governed you] in your former ignorance [when you did not know the requirements of the Gospel].
1 Samuel 15:12 And Samuel said, Hath Jehovah as great delight in burnt-offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of Jehovah? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
Luke 10:20 And Samuel said, Hath Jehovah as great delight in burnt-offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of Jehovah? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
- Our name is written in His book. (verse 7) Then I said, “Behold, I come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me.
Philippians 4:3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.
Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Revelation 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Revelation 21:27 And nothing common, nor that maketh an abomination and a lie, shall at all enter into it; but those only who are written in the book of life of the Lamb.
- Delight myself in His Will. (verse 8) I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.
Psalm 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; His steps do not slip.
Psalm 119:11 Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.
Psalm 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word
- Speak of Him often. (verse 9 & 10) I have proclaimed the good news of the righteousness in the great assembly. Indeed, I do not restrain my lips, O LORD. You Yourself know. I have not hidden Your righteousness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingingkindness and Your truth from the great assembly.
Matthew 28:16-20 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Acts 22:15 For thou shalt be a witness for him unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
- Seek His forgiveness quickly. (verse 11-13) Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O LORD; let Your lovingkindness and Your truth continually preserve me. For innumerable evils have surrounded me; my iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of my head; therefore my heart fails me. Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; O LORD, make haste to help me!
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Matthew 6:14-15 "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. "But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
- Allow Him to avenge those who harm you. (verse 14 & 15) Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion who seek to destroy my life; let them be driven backward and brought to dishonor who wish me evil. Let them be confounded because of their shame, who say to me “Aha, aha!”
Deuteronomy 32:35 It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them."
Romans 12:19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.
- Give praise to Him for your salvation. (verse 16) Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You, let each as love Your salvation say continually, “The Lord be magnified!”
1 Peter 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
Psalm 96:2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.
- Walk in humility before Him. (verse 17) But I am poor and needy; yet the LORD thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God.
Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
Waiting on God. V.1
Psalm 130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.
Receiving deliverance from God. V.2
Seeking joy from God (sing His song). V. 3
Ecclesiastes 5:20 & Galatians 5:22
Trusting God. V.4
Remembering His works in your life. V.5
Live in obedience to His precepts. V.6
1 Peter 1:4
Picture of Christ and His sacrifice. V. 7&8
Delight in doing His will. V.8
Speak of Him often to others. V. 9&10
Seek His forgiveness. V. 11-13
1 John 1:9 & Matthew 6:14-15
Allow Him to avenge. V. 14&15
Praise Him for your salvation. V.16
1 Peter 1:3-5
Walk humbly before Him. V.17